I have been doing surveys now for about four years. Do not believe the hype. You can not make a lot of money doing surveys! They take time and you must qualify. The survey sites will send you invitations or you may log in to the site and find surveys to participate in. Most pay with points or enter you in contests for points/cash. Sometimes you will be invited to special surveys that will pay cash! The fee for these surveys can vary from $1 to $10 usually depends on the length of the survey. The invitation survey can take anywhere from 1 minute to 40 minutes to complete. Subsequent to answering questions you will be told if you qualified for the extended survey and be given a choice to continue with it or save it for later. Or, you will be told you do not qualify but have been entered into a contest for cash/points. There are also research studies that you may be invited to participate in which could pay up to $75. The key is you must qualify. How do you qualify? It all depends on what the company is looking for. It will help if you have DSL to qualify for more surveys. Remember to keep your profile the same from survey to survey. That is ethnic background, income, date of birth, etc. The buzz is that if you change these around you will be disqualified from future surveys. Personal profile plus your consumer habits is what lets you continue on to the paid survey or not. You never know what they are looking for, male/female, age may be a factor, or just the fact that you do not use that product, never watched that show, not a republican or what ever their criteria is for that particular survey. Don’t forget to keep the survey companies up to date with your technology (i.e., DVD player, DVD-R, Tivo, DSL, etc). From time to time they will send surveys worth points to find out what kind of technology you use at home. It is important that you answer truthfully for the type of surveys you receive and may qualify for will be influenced by the technology you own.
I have done surveys for food where I qualified and then was sent the food item to try and fill out another survey. I got paid cash and got to try out a new product and give my opinion before it ever hit the market. Laundry detergent which was also mailed to me, I was paid and had free laundry detergent for a month! I previewed TV shows, commercials for very recent political campaigns, and many more products. My opinions have influenced the final version of many products! But I have not become rich or paid my bills doing so! Just some little extra cash and a good feeling that your voice is heard!
- Do not pay for a list of survey sites! These can be found free on the net. You will find the ones I use on this site, on my right side navigation bar and at the end of this post.
- Any sites you sign up for do some research first. Check for the BBB (Better Business Bureau) Logo, go to the BBB site and check out the company report there. Also, look up the sites origin and registered name on whois.net. I was surprised to find out a site with a very similar name to this blog was out of
. We will touch on that subject later, but be cautious, better safe than sorry! South Africa
- Check your e-mail daily! The good money making opportunities get filled quickly, really, really fast.
- For tax purposes you will be an independent contractor. Sites paying you cash will ask for your Social Security number. Some will only require your SS number if you have earned $600 or more with the particular company. The companies I have worked for and provided my SS number to I never had a problem with. You will have to report your earnings to the IRS so keep track.
- Remember to keep your personal information up to date on each site you have joined! Most of them offer points every time you update your info and will periodically contact you via e-mail with surveys that are about updating personal info and/or technology.
- I have not found any Spam or viruses associated with the survey sites I utilize.
- You can check registration data here such as name, address and phone number. http://www.whois.net/
- Updated link to The BBBOnLine "Check out a Business or Charity”
- Google the site name or registered domain owner and check out the buzz!
- Leave a post about the site you are curious about and I will do all the work for you! Chances are I already have checked it out.
My Favorite Survey sites:
- I personally work with these companies.
- Do not forget to look at my right navigation bar for more links to my favorite money making survey sites. Clicking on the links in my right hand navigation bar will get me points! Thanks!